The #FutureIsUs campaign is about helping to bring visibility to, recognize and create a university-wide culture of being community engaged.
It is a collective effort between FIU students, faculty, staff and administration who are joining together to show and bring visibility to the work FIU is doing in our community and how we are collaborating to address issues that are affecting our globe.
Our objectives are to:
- Gather information from across the university on the different community engagement activities that are happening to submit as part of the Carnegie designation application.
- Document and find stories of changemakers and impactful partnerships that we can profile and highlight.
- Increase visibility of the impactful work FIU is doing in the community.
- Position FIU as
a of the anational university model for how a university can and should engage with a community.
Why it is important:
- The Florida Board of Governors and State University System have made “community engagement” one of their four areas of focus for the 2025 strategic plan:
“Deliver knowledge to advance the health, welfare, cultural enrichment, and economy through community and business engagement and service.”
- It helps build a cohesive culture and affinity for FIU. We know that FIU is a force for good in our community and this campaign will build a sense of unity and pride for the work and impact we have.
- Many members of the FIU family regularly engage and do work in the community on behalf of the university. This work is a reflection of FIU’s community-focused culture and commitment to making an impact. We want to recognize them and their efforts.
When can we use the hashtag?
- On any post that reflects and shows FIU’s commitment to our community and reflects the work of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and administration on a local, national and international level. FIU research, student philanthropy projects, and official community involvement all qualify.
- This can be on a division social media page or even on your personal page.